Sunday, August 29, 2010

Creative Media Reflection

So far in creative media, my group and I have been filming and editing our film. At first we wanted to film Zhierleen’s film but after brainstorming, we decided that we would create a film based on all our films. I will admit, at first I wasn’t so hot on the idea because the project was due in a week but Mr Andrews gave us an extension and after Elena showed me what she had planned I became very excited about filming what we had created!

We encountered several problems on our journey to film our work but we managed to solve them. The first problem we encountered was when we were going to film. Since all of us live a busy life, there were times were not all of us could make it to filming and sometimes people would cancel at the last minute. I will admit there were a couple of times I couldn’t make it to filming because since there’s only my mum, she sometimes couldn’t get me out to where we were filming. Another problem was we needed to have most of the film filmed before the holidays because Zhierleen would be away for the whole holidays but lucky we were able to get most of it done. The last problem we encountered was cutting down the footage so our film would be at an appropriate length. We had filmed so much footage that we were struggling to cut out parts and still keep the film flowing. That was pretty much all the problems and difficulties we faced.

During filming, I discovered several skills that I didn’t know I had. I discovered that I wasn’t too bad at filming and I could use the camera very well. At first, I was very concerned that I wouldn’t be able to use the camera but it turns out I can use it quite well. The other skill I discovered that I had was I could use Final Cut very well. A hobby of mine is to edit film and add music to it. At first I thought Final Cut would be a lot harder since I use Sony Vegas but it turns out that both programs are very similar to each other so I found using Final Cut quite easy. That was all the skills I discovered during the project.

So far I am quite satisfied with the film. The only improvement I believe we can make is to make the film flow a bit better. The film is quite good but there are some scenes where I believe we need to add extra footage so it flows just like a movie.

Overall, I don’t think we managed our time effectively at all. A week before the project was due, we changed our entire film and we didn’t make a solid plan of when we would film. We would call each other the night before and try to film the next day which was quite silly since we would need at least a days notice so we could make it. So that is why I don’t believe we managed our time effectively.

As mentioned before, I don’t believe we managed our time effectively. If I could change anything, I would make sure to manage my time more effectively. I would have the film idea already done and have a plan or a rough idea on when and what scenes we would be filming. If we could have done this the first time, then filming would have been a lot easier and we most likely would have had the film completed by the due date. This would be the only thing I change and if we started again I would also do this.

As far as I know, we have uploaded the footage onto the macs and it has worked fine. However, we have a major problem since Elena is the only one with the footage. So it something were to happen to Elena’s hard drive, we would lost all our footage. This is why I brought my own hard drive except I need to set it up so I can load stuff onto it. Once I have my hard drive up and running, I will get the footage so we have a back up. I will also put the footage on my external hard drive at home so if anything happens to our (Elena’s and mine) hard drives, we will have another copy.

Overall, I am very pleased with our film. We have encountered problems but we managed to solve them and I even learnt new skills. However, if I could change anything, I would manage our time a lot better than we did. A part from that I am very happy with our film.

No comments:

Post a Comment